Back in 1982, I was seven (the legal school age then in Estonia). I had graduated from the day-care in May and as soon as September 1 (the official first day of school even now) rolled around, I was SO ready to go to school. I remember feeling BIG. I was a school girl now, no more day-care. Of, course, it did not take me long to realize that first grade had nothing to do with BIG. I was a 'baby' again, for everyone else beside my classmates were older and bigger than us.
But back to the not-so-fun first day of school. I and my Mom arrived on time, but in my class room all the desks were already taken and there was only one 'vacancy' - one desk at the far right end of the room right under the window. You could have sent me to Siberia, it would have felt the same. I felt let down and disappointed.
I was not the last child to walk in to the room. Every desk was meant for two students, so everyone had a 'desk mate'. Mine arrived a few minutes after I had sat down. And it was a BOY! I remember being mad. He obviously, did not like sitting next to a girl either, so we started fighting from day one. In weeks to come, our bickering got so bad that the teacher had to separate us and I was given a new desk mate, a girl this time. I did not think it was much of an improvement because her hands were always dirty and it was rumored that she had head lice.
First day. I remember sitting in the big hall upstairs where the traditional first day speeches were given. I remember feeling deserted. Not alone, but facing this sea of new faces was a mountain of a challenge. Thankfully, I made friends fast and by the time my Mom had to bring me home from the emergency room at the end of the first week at school (I was fooling around on the safety barrier bar in front of the school, when someone pushed me and I dived head first onto the road), I had well adjusted and really did not remember the not-so-fun feelings of the first day until now.
So, Andrew, I hope, in 29 years if I am still around and I ask you what you remember of your first day of Kindergarten, you will tell me none of the stuff, I just jotted down. May you have another milestone in your life to look back to with fondness. I wish it with all of my heart.
I felt such a BIG girl that day.
Feeling kind of deserted here.
Receiving my student ID.
On our way back home. On the foreground the same safety barrier that cost my head a few stitches.