Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 21 Day 1

I have a sort of a rule that whenever Daddy is home, we do not have school. Daddy was home today, but he had to take off to town, so it was us three again and out came the Sonlight instructor's guide. I had not planned anything for today, but this is one of the reasons, I like Sonlight, I can just take the guide and have a school day even without much preparation.

We have had rather busy evenings recently and were behind our Read Aloud schedule. This morning we caught up with all our chapters. The book we are reading talks a lot about a grandmother's button basket. I remember how much I loved my Mom's button tin. Today, I started one of my own. I spread all my button stash on the table and had the kids sort them and then drop them into a brightly colored tin which is perfect for fun stuff like buttons.

We continued our studies of the human body with the brain and the five senses. I found some fun kid-oriented video clips on the YouTube about how our ears and noses work. There were good informational clips about eyes and tongue and taste buds as well. But it was more fun to do things ourselves, like the feeling with our fingertips. Not long ago we read the story about how Braille came to invent the reading system for the blind. The children remembered the story well and I had grabbed a couple of Braille cards from the library at one time, they became very useful teaching tools not only to illustrate the story but also by giving the children a 'glimpse' into what does it mean to rely on your fingers and touch when reading and not your eyes.
I was afraid that all this volume of new information would get Andrew confused. It did not! At the same time, let us see how much he remembers tomorrow...