Wednesday, August 29, 2012

'12/13 Week 3 Day 3

I can still barely believe how much using the stopwatch is helping Andrew with his spelling. Now, will it be also as helpful when he is cleaning up his room? I wonder ... 

In our creative writing portion of the Language Arts, Andrew and I talked a bit about what dialogue is. He understood the concept and enjoyed coming up with his own characters and their dialogue so much that he did not want to stop and was utterly disappointed when I ran out of lines to write on. I promised to him,  he can come up with another dialogue tomorrow which is part of his creative writing assignment again. I am glad to see Andrew grasping the basics of story telling. With his imagination, he might become a good storyteller. Who knows. First we have to get that pesky spelling mastered.

Our science lesson was fun. We read about how male birds attract females and stage fights to the right to become THE daddy. The videos we watched on the Youtube were awesome: the peacock with his magnificent fan of feathers, the bird of paradise with his awkward dance, and also, we looked at two male rattle snakes in a wrestling match. Oh, and, by the way, my 'stealth mode' is getting better - I managed to sneak close to the 'EEK' frog and snap a photo. Hopefully, this will help us identify it better. 

Now, the highlight of today was our kite flying. Saara's Berenstain Bears book had a funny kite flying story. So right after the school work, we trotted outside with our kites and tried to use the strong gusts of wind to fly them. It kind of worked. An hour later, we went outside again, and this time we had an expert (Daddy) with us who did an awesome job teaching both kids. Our whole family was outside having loads of fun. What a great afternoon! 
Meet one of our 'EEK' frogs.

It was  kite-flying kind of day.



 



Papa Bear teaching Small Bear how to fly a kite.


Papa Bear teaching Small Bear how to fly a kite.