Thursday, December 6, 2012

'12/13 Week 15 Day 4

As I had predicted, our day today was rather ordinary. Well, the breaks were not quite. As soon as we got done with yet another class, the kids brought out all sorts of board games and lost themselves playing. It was sweet to watch and I had hard time calling them back to their studies. 

I also had hard time not crying when I was reading to Andrew and Saara the last chapters of "The Year of Miss Agnes" by Kirkpatrick Hill. Miss Agnes was a teacher who poured her heart into her students, thought outside the box, and was essentially homeschooling a group of kids in Alaska. My children loved the book tremendously. Andrew could not stand the suspense of finding out why the light was back in the school house. He dropped his building blocks and crawled next to me on the couch and drilled the page with his eyes. And those eyes brightened up with joy when he heard that Miss Agnes was back. And with a cat. Andrew loves cats.

Saara, on the other hand, gave the best reply any kid could ever give. She loves mud and it is almost impossible to keep her away from puddles. Oh, the scrubbing that follows in the bath tub is tiresome. So, we have kind of discouraged her from getting too lost in playing with mud. 
Outside today, I found her almost elbow deep in mud again. I asked her what she was up to ready to send her inside to wash up when she replied to my inquiry - "Mom, this is a scientific experiment. I am mixing sand and water into mud." We do not want to discourage 'scientific experiments' of any sorts, do we now?

Yesterday, the favorite game was Hi-Ho Cheerio. Today, it was dominoes, Spot It!, and the Memory Game.

In the morning, while I was getting our breakfast ready, the children were looking through their new and old magazines and decorating a gingerbread house online (highlights.com). We have a real gingerbread house kit to put together as well.

So, over a cup of hot cocoa, the children listened to the High Five audio version online.