Friday, December 14, 2012

'12/13 Week 16 Day 5

I did not share with my kids about the massacre in Connecticut. I can not get my own head around it - how on earth someone could do that? Little children! How could one even point a gun at them? I have no words to describe this horrible-horrible tragedy, let alone explain it in simple terms to my kids. As a parent I am heart-broken for the families who do not have a little one to tuck in bed tonight nor a smiley face to enjoy on Christmas morning... I can pray, and I have and I will. 
I am also praying for the children who survived and little children everywhere that they would not be scared to go to school again nor their parents scared to send them. 

I learned about the shooting during our lunch break. Until then, I had conducted our classes with a light heart, but it sure got much heavier once I read about it in the news and thought of all the grieving parents. 

In history, we took a good look at the Hittites. I found a rather informative video clip about them and the battle of Kadesh and how the Hittite Empire was discovered. It served as a colorful companion to the information we read about the Hittites in Andrew's history book.

Our science lesson was so engaging that we were almost late for the choir practice in the afternoon. We were studying the deep sea weird creatures. I remember doing the same lesson last year, but this time we were able to find a ton of good video material on the Youtube and it was deeply interesting. 

The choir practice was the last one this year. Next week we will have the long anticipated concert. I am very excited for Andrew and Saara! 
Anatolia, the Hittites, the battle of Kadesh - brand new information for Andrew.

Saara's last choir practice this year.

It was also Andrew's and Saara's last bells practice.

The 'mandatory' playground time after the practice.

I am not sure this was 'mandatory' but pretty impressive of Andrew.