Monday, February 25, 2013

'12/13 Week 25 Day 1

It is a blustery kind of day. Very windy outside, but warm and sunny. Our school day 'forecast' was rather slow and sloppy. :o) At first, Andrew had hard time getting his engines going, but once he got through our Math class, he went ahead full speed. Saara was as sloppy as one could get. Made me laugh but she had to redo and rewrite things until they looked acceptable.  What a morning! 

One of the challenges I am facing these days is how to make the familiar Bible stories interesting and catching. I have set up mini-plays and puppets shows, and done just plain reading. Today, however, we made a little craft to accompany the story about the three wise men visiting Jesus. We constructed a little star that is hanging in Saara's room now. There's still so much out there that one can do to make the Bible come alive to the kids. I will keep on exploring and experimenting and having fun in the process.
Andrew helping me glue the star pieces together.

Surprisingly easy to make and absolutely adorable to look at. Star pattern from Dolly's Dreamings blog

One of Saara's tasks in her Math class - to recognize and name the coins. I had her make crayon rubbings of the coins and then count how many coins she had in each group.
It takes some skill to keep the coin steady and also the pressure on the crayon has to be just right to yield a nice result.


The curriculum finished its studies of the Ancient China, but we are still stuck in there. I brought home a number of interesting books and the kids have been enjoying listening to them and looking at the pictures. Even Saara, has shown more interest than usual.

Andrew ran through the house today and picked up a few things he wanted to measure in centimeters.