Friday, April 5, 2013

'12/13 Week 29 Day 5

Sweet school day. I wish, every day was like today. 

Again, I let the kids play outside for about 10-15 minutes before we started our classes. It seems to suit them and me well. They get to run off a bit of energy, get their lungs full of oxygen, and explore the morning fields which can be full of treasures, like the poor half frozen moth Andrew found.

Our Math class has not seen this much running around kind of activity in a long time. We continued our studies of 3D shapes or solids and after reviewing the ones that we already were familiar with, I launched a house-wide scavenger hunt for shapes. It was a lot of fun! We organized all of them in categories and discussed the ones that did not make the cut and why they did not suit the group (like Andrew thought his flat pillow would be a cube). 

I sound like a broken record, but I and the kids are enjoying our vocabulary learning time so much more now that we are doing it during the day. One more big benefit is that I can use the computer without much hassle to pull up pictures of objects the kids are confused about. Anything from cobblestones and wagon jacks, to dikes and stork nests on wagon wheels. Great time of reading, learning, and exploring. I have created a board on Pinterest just for that purpose. http://pinterest.com/millscreek/the-wheel-on-the-school/

Saara combined a few subjects in her reading task today. She read and followed the instructions and completed a science project about starting seeds. 

In History, Andrew got his first glimpse of the early American native tribes and the Mayan culture. He was very interested in the ball games the Mayans played. :o)

Andrew's 'morning moth'.
  

 Learning 3D shapes. On the computer I have open The 3D Sorting Activity from Teachers Pay Teachers.

Our 3D 'loot'. Saara's baseball cap does belong with the cones because it has a picture (logo) of a volcano on it.

Saara busy with her reading/reading comprehension/following instructions/science/fine motor skills task.