Wednesday, September 18, 2013

'13/14 Week 5 Day 3

Both children worked hard today. In History, their lesson plans overlapped covering the Viking era which made the class go faster.

Yes, Andrew took his Math test today. He misunderstood the instructions to one of the tasks and lost a bit of points, but his final score was still worthy of an A-. The dude knows his math, just rushes through some things too fast.

We finished our day with the Civics class about the next American symbol - the bald eagle. The kids remembered seeing one at the Houston Zoo. They remembered it because that poor thing had only one wing.
In class we looked for some things - money and documents mainly - where the eagle has been used as a symbol. I read the kids a selection of pages from an online book at biguniverse.com 
Also, I think, one of these days we will take a special "pledge photo" of Andrew. He knows the pledge by heart now. Saara is still practicing her reciting.
A morning wake-up. I had the tin cans on the counter ready for a craft project. Andrew turned them around and made a decent ruckus.

History. Yarn crafts. Saara was reading about how the Vikings made their clothes. To illustrate the process of twisting the combed wool into yarn, I fluffed up a cotton ball and showed Saara the idea of how a ball of wool can be turned into a yarn for weaving. She liked the project so much, that I doubt we have any cotton balls left in the bathroom.

Civics. Learning about the bald eagle. Two things I know they will remember, first, that Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national symbol, and, second, that, according to the legend from the Revolutionary War, the eagles were hovering over a battle crying 'freedom!' (all this information came from the online book I read to them).