Wednesday, January 8, 2014

'13/14 Week 16 Day 3

A full day of everything. It is one of those times I feel like we did not leave any stone unturned. Being true to myself, I even found the time and energy to haul over more stones to peek under. 
Like in Andrew's history class, which did not have any assignments for today. I went ahead and introduced Andrew to the Northern crusades which were not as 'glamorous' as the Holy Land ones, but they have everything to do with his ancestors. In fact, Andrew has stood on the ruins of one of the crusader castles. 

Saara's science class surprised me a lot. It turned out to be more hands on that I had anticipated. The subject was 'Flowers' and it being January and the fact that we just got a licking from 'the polar vortex', talking about blooms seemed kind of out of place. However, in God's mercy, I was able to produce a few blooms that survived the cold outside and we ended up having a decent study of flowers.

This used to be the largest castle of the Knights of the Order in these parts.


I have shared this pic before, but it was a rare chance for Andrew to stand on the Medieval history.

1208 AD. Estonians still consider it a sad date. Yes, the Crusaders came and brought along the Christian faith, but up to this day there survives the saying that Christianity was forced upon the people with 'fire and sword.'

Estonians and other tribes around us were the last people groups to be converted into Christianity. For most of them it meant slavery for centuries to come. 
Saara has taken it upon herself to write down the date every morning. She uses tiles from her calendar to copy the words.

Andrew is learning multiplication for real.

Science. Flowers in January. Nothing short of a miracle.



We even managed to gather some pollen.

Which, of course, brought us to the process of pollination.

LA. Building questions and working with the 'wh' digraph.