Thursday, April 3, 2014

'13/14 Week 28 Day 4

And another day done. I finally started reading Andrew's new read-aloud book called The Strawberry Girl. The way the author has penned down the locals' speech is driving me bananas. 'Young uns', and 'jist', and 'jedgin', and 'tole' - I am not fluent in backwoods lingo and I do not strive to be. I might skip the book for now. The story itself is promising to be good. But I feel, I am torturing myself and my kids with bad phonics. It just sucks the joy of the story right out. It reminds me of another book "Uncle Remus" I borrowed from the library once. What a disaster! That book had even worse spelling than this.

Bible. Andrew's new Bible verse/song has an excellent rhythm pattern.

Long ago, I taught the story of Jesus being tempted in the wilderness in my Sunday School class. I popped the balloons (representing satan) each time he failed to tempt the Lord. Both children remembered that class and we repeated the action this morning as we were reading today's Bible story.

The cola-cleaned coins. This experiment was successful.