Friday, October 2, 2015

'15/16 Week 7 Day 4

When Andrew started learning about the Civil War, I expected it to take a up a lot of our time. To my surprise, the introductory course he is taking right now did not dwell long on the subject. I was puzzled at first. Now, that we have been reading about the events, discoveries, inventions, etc. that happened after the war, I understand that the impact of the war, they way it changed the industries, the culture, the whole country, is so much more significant. 
Andrew has learned about how mail-order catalogs changed the rural life, or the huge department stores the city life, what role the war played in creating the ready-made clothing industry, etc. There are still many more chapters to read, but so far, the story of how America developed and changed after the war, is amazing.

History. Andrew learned today, how the sewing machine was invented, and how it changed the clothing industry in America. I showed Andrew how a sewing machine works and how a seam is created.