Saturday, January 30, 2016

'15/16 Week 21

I am shocked how fast this week flew by. We had so much to do and the weather has been unseasonably warm, so as soon as we were done with our school assignments, the kids ran outside; no TV, no computers, or any other electronic device. I take it back, we did watch some TV. Saara and I finished reading a book about Michelangelo and we finished watching a movie about him painting the Sistine Chapel.
Here's just a fraction of what we accomplished this week.
Science. Andrew did his last experiment in the TOPS book.

All of these were fun and educational experiments.

Art. As Valentine's Day is only a couple of weeks away, the kids made some heart-themed drawings. I will scan them into the computer and make cards out of them to send to our friends.



Major flock descended right next to our house. The noise was deafening. 

Science. Andrew's new science topic is light. Today, he reviewed how light travels. 


It was not required in the program, but I asked Andrew to write down his observations.

Math. Saara is steadily learning her multiplication table.

Science. Next chapter in Andrew's science book talked about how light reflects off surfaces. He built a sort of a periscope to look around corners.




Art. The last activity of our school week was to paint our own Blue Horses, like Franz Marc.

Both kids (and I) learned how to draw a simple sketch of a horse.