Monday, October 30, 2017

'17/18 Week 11

The orange belt training has begun.

      One of the reasons why I love homeschooling is because I learn right alongside with my kids. Most of the time the things I learn, are just facts and stories I have forgotten over time. Often, I am thankful that I have been given a second chance to visit the long-ago lessons because now I understand them better and, what seemed so boring back then has turned out to be very interesting now.
      But there have been a handful of times I've stare at the lesson plan with a blank expression, and the more I stared the more convinced I'd become that thirty some years ago they did not teach that stuff at school. Like this week, I tried to recall the time when they covered Scientific Notation or Binary Charts at my middle school. I failed to remember. So, one evening, I spent the better part of my math preparation improving my choppy knowledge on both subjects.  
       I was a little weary about if Andrew, who had to learn these things, would actually understand them. I should not have been worried. He grasped both subjects easily. In fact, we talked about binary system before dinner while we were waiting for our food to cool a little. By the time we started eating, he was easily converting decimal numbers into binary and vice versa. Truly, numbers can make a very lively dinner conversation.

Science. Saara's at it again - mapping, drawing, and building circuits.



Only two more games left.

At a fall fest in town Andrew's favorite was the foot race area.


Science. We were trying out yet another crystallization experiment. This time, the book promised we could eat it the end result.

Supersaturated sugar water.