Monday, October 16, 2017

'17/18 Week 9


      Fall is finally here! We have had some cooler mornings, and once even, the northern wind was rather nippy forcing us into long sleeves. The school week went by rather uneventfully which was fine by us. The weather was inviting us outside.        Shorter days also mean longer evenings which we often spend reading. Andrew, my reluctant reader, finds himself so engrossed in his book, he often reads more than he is supposed to. He just finished The Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson, and is currently reading Theras and His Town by Carolin Dale Snedeker. I, too, find myself reading to them more chapters than I am supposed to (The God King, another brilliant book by Joanne Williamson). The stories are just so captivating. This is one of many reasons I like our Sonlight curriculum - I would not have found all these great books on my own.
     Cooler weather, longer evenings, and a stack of good reading material makes up for the lack of 'earthshaking' happenings during our study hours, I believe.

Taekwondo. It is getting harder.

The children were so excited when they were introduced to ssang jeol bongs (the Korean nunchuck)

Science. Andrew separating pharmaceutical powder from iron sulfate. 

Separating the mixture from its residue.
 
Pure iron sulfate.

Saara did not have any experiments this week. She learned how to draw electrical circuits instead.

LA. Alphabetizing over a dozen words with identical consonant clusters proved to be one of the toughest challenges this week.

Volleyball. It was a picture day and a good game for Saara on Saturday.


We ended the week attending a beautiful wedding. It should count as a Big Event of the week, I suppose.