Andrew and Saara started memorizing their new Bible verses this morning and learning a new song which we all found to be a very cool one with (what I think is) rainforest (or at least some ethnic) beat to it. A good way to start our mornings this week.
I was growing a bit worried about Andrew's reading because of the break we took from school work for two weeks. I should not have. Andrew did a good job. In Language Arts, I put a little twist to his spelling practice: we started writing down simple three or four-word sentences, not just individual words. For Andrew, it will take a bit to get used to, but I believe the benefit of this exercise is going to be great. We will start slow and easy and move to longer and more complex sentences as he gets better. Also, Andrew and I started to explore the world of singular and plural nouns.
For Vocabulary Learning I ditched the "Betsy Undersood" book and turned to our old favorites - the Boxcar Children. "The Surprise Island" is what we are reading for new words and for understanding and following a story line.
In Scinece, Saara started a new book about the underwater world, and Andrew finished his book about animals of the world. That was a fun book, indeed.
The highlight of today was our art lesson. We moved on to color and color families. Andrew and Saara learned about primary colors and mixed their own secondary colors and had loads of fun combining their own fancy colors.
I am hoping the rest of the year will be as fruitful and fun as today. I will do my best to make sure it will.
| Saara practicing drawing shapes. |
| Fractions. Dividing the paper into required portions. The 'equal parts' still needs practicing. |
| Saara tackles the same addition problems as Andrew. Grade 1 math for my Pre-K girl. |
| The children made their own color wheels. |
| Children were sorting their pencils into color families. |
| Andrew mixing primary colors into his own unique colors. |
| Primary colors into secondary colors. |