Wednesday, May 1, 2013

'12/13 Week 33 Day 3

We like spending out time with the Romans. Today, we read about how houses and aqueducts were built. Rich Romans decorated their floors with mosaic patterns and I had Andrew and Saara try their hand at creating mosaic patterns as well. A great website for making mosaic designs: http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/mosaic/mkmosaic.htm

After our History lesson, we dug right into the second chapter of "Mr. Popper's Penguins." We took a look at all of the 17 different penguin species and measured most of them on Andrew and some on Saara. The Emperor Penguin is a notch shorter than Saara. What a big bird! 

As Mr. Popper wanted to have a penguin for a pet, I had Andrew choose an exotic pet he would dream of having. To help him out, I let him use his book about animals we had read in the beginning of this school year. Did I say, dream of having? I am glad, for Andrew chose King Cobra. 

I had prepared a sheet for him to write explaining why he would like this particular pet and where would it live. I realized that although I have given Andrew a lot of writing assignments, they have mostly been spelling and copying exercises. Sonlight has plenty of creative writing tasks, but somehow they have not quite worked for us. 

Having Mr. Popper's story as our background, however, has made the transition from just practicing spelling to writing full sentences on his own much easier for Andrew. I was glad to see how focused and eager he was to write down his very own thoughts. 

Our day ended with opening the box from Sonlight with all brand new materials for our next school year. Now, tomorrow we will have Mr. Popper open his box with the surprise. Can not wait.

Andrew and Saara creating their mosaic patterns.

Andrew's duck

Andrew's two eagles in the sky.

Penguins. All 17 of them.

My one 'penguin' measuring the other 'penguin' to find out how tall is the real penguin.

Andrew had a hard time choosing his exotic pet for Creative Writing assignment. I can not believe he chose the King Cobra. Brrr!