Tuesday, August 20, 2013

'13/14 Week 1 Day 2

We are back in the saddle as if we never got off. I am so pleased to hear from both of my kids that they love doing school. I sure love it, too, and I hope, they will always say they love school/learning even when we reach Week 36 in May.

Today, we continued with a lot of reviews - in history, in grammar, in math, and even the science, although new books and all, it is still a review of things we read and learned last year. Andrew has forgotten some (which is kind of expected), but with little help and hints, he remembers the names and facts and can retell stories and events. 

These two days have shown both kids as promising writers. Saara continues to fill out her dry-erase tablet with letters and names. Andrew went ahead and made his own book that included pictures and a paragraph about his teacher. The book opened from the opposite end and the paragraph read like this: " Mom is a teacher. She taught me how to do numbers and letters." It was plagued with spelling mistakes, but the fact that Andrew did it on his own and wanted to write, is praiseworthy. We have plenty of time to get the spelling right. I am very encouraged to see the boy who was rather slow and reluctant to write last year, craft a homemade book of his own. Big smiles here.


Bible. The story of the Fall. No words needed, I think.
Bible. The story of Cain (Andrew with his sacrifice of supermarket potatoes) and Abel (Saara with her sacrifice of stuffed teddy bear). We had a good discussion about the kind of  hearts and attitudes both brothers had in the story.
Saara's Science is about the Earth and how it rotates around its axis and around the Sun. One of the activities was measuring the shadow during the day.
Saara's Learning and Thinking activities. Once again the calendar I ordered from Oriental Trading Co. ages ago is becoming useful. Andrew believes it should belong to Saara now that he has already learned how to read the calendar. We will see. Today's subject was learning (reviewing in Saara's case) the days of the week.
Andrew's LA. Yesterday, we reviewed the sentence and punctuation. Today, it was the Capital's turn. I asked Andrew to correct all the words that were wrong on the whiteboard.

Saara's Shadow Record. She insisted labeling the two last records herself.