Wednesday, August 21, 2013

'13/14 Week 1 Day 3

This morning was kind of hard to get going. We started on time and the kids had time to play outside before I called them in, but still - there was something in the air that made us a bit drowsy. Did it mess with our school day? A bit, in the beginning, but as the day progressed and we got more and more things accomplished, the drowsiness wore off and by the time we grabbed our hula hoops and cones to do some exercises outside, the sluggishness that plagued us in the morning was all gone. Good riddance! 
We did not stick around much longer either. After the short PE class, we made ourselves presentable again and took off to the library. Our haul this time was 100 % educational. The kids were picking up books about planets and animals. I was the only one who borrowed a bunch of "Magic Tree House" stories. And even those had to do with the things we had already covered in our science or history classes.
Bible. The morning Bible story was, of course, about the great flood and Noah's ark. We piled into the kids' bathroom and using their plastic animal toys and a bowl from the kitchen we re-enacted the flooding in the tub. Water, rain, waves, and all.


History. Saara remembers quite a bit from two years ago when Andrew was learning about the first people. The pictures I took then and the blog posts I wrote have helped enormously recalling our adventures back then. 

Andrew's LA. Sorting out Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives.

Science. This year, we started off studying some animals who live in different parts of the world. The children have seen all of the animals we have been reading about so far at the different zoos we have visited. They may not remember at first, but as soon as I pull out some photos, they seem to recall even the funniest facts ("Mom, I remember, they smelled horrible.")

We learned a bit about boundaries and personal space today. It was all done with a lot of laughter. Here, I asked Andrew and Saara to move creatively in their space and gave them words, like 'sizzle' or 'reach', to prompt the creativity.