Thursday, August 22, 2013

13/14 Week 1 Day 4


 I think, we had quite an artsy kind of day today - lots of coloring and drawing. A lot of it was done in our art class that we had last. We started reading about Leonardo da Vinci and discovered a fantastic book called "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds. Following the story in the book, I gave Andrew and Saara a sheet of paper with just a line drawn on it. And asked to come up with ideas what the line could be a part of (side of a pool,  of a mountain, horizon, house, etc.) I gave them time to take the line and see where it would take them. Andrew ended up with a desert scenery and Saara with turtles on mountain tops.
In Science yesterday, Andrew read about different bears in the world. Today, I showed him a few YouTube videos and pulled out some photos of bears (again) from our visits to the zoo. A video on sloth bears in India was a long one, so Andrew asked me if he could finish it tonight. He did watch the whole program before supper. Besides the bears, the video showed a lot of other wildlife in India. A great piece to watch: BBC Natural World

Bible. The morning art - while I was reading the story of the tower of Babel, the kids colored a picture about it.

Science. Andrew is learning about different animals and their habitats in the world. Today we watched a number of videos on brown bears, spectacled bears, sloth bears, and polar bears. A lot of bears.

Science. Saara in Kindergarten is doing the same experiments Andrew did a couple of years ago. Moving air can make things move from 2011 (with the balloons) and today.
Science. Since Andrew learned about air in his Kindergarten class, Saara has remembered that an empty bottle is not really empty, it is full of air.

Art. A simple line led Saara to a picture of an open book. "The Dot" is one of the best books I have read in a long time.