Wednesday, December 11, 2013

13/14 Week 14 Day 3

Everything 'math' dominated our morning. We did quite a thorough review of subjects we had not touched in a while. Our table was filled with all sorts of flip cards and manipulatives. It was quite fun. Both kids wanted to play with this or that after the class was done. 

I believe, we also found a more engaging and level appropriate way for Andrew to practice his story writing. I have tried many things, like asking him to write a paragraph about a picture I show him or he himself draws. He has done a fair job, but all these times have come across as tasks lacking the spark behind creative writing. I decided to slow down the pace and focus on something he is good at - dictation. We have done it a few times and Andrew has accomplished his work well with a big smile on his face. He feels confident and empowered. It may not be a 'creative' writing yet, but it is 'writing' and a good one at that. The creative part will come in time.  

Math. When it comes to shapes, addition, subtraction, money, calendar, etc. Saara does not feel challenged at all. Learning about place value, however, is something new for this Kindergartener.

Andrew got to review and improve his share of shapes recognition ...

... and calendar reading skills.