Saturday, April 2, 2016

WW II Living History Weekend

Andrew is about to learn about the D-Day in our introduction to the American history. Being able to watch a re-enactment of a WW II battle could not come at a better time. The Museum of the American G.I. held its 17th Living History Weekend, and we were able to walk around among WW II military camp; see, hear, and smell the tanks, a helicopter, various weapons, and watch the biggest re-enactment of WW II in the South. It was amazing! Andrew's favorite part was the re-enactment, of course, Saara loved the Junior G. I. obstacle course. 
We got to ride on a school bus to the event.

Both kids wanted to see the tanks first.

Beside tanks, we also saw many different military vehicles.




The kitchen.

A water sack, a bicycle, and rifle stack.


Children loved the obstacle course.






We spotted a WW I helmet.

The kids and I are reading a book about occupied Holland. A Nazi motorcycle is mentioned there more than once.

Inside the museum of the American G.I.




A captured Nazi flag.

A story of a U.S. Marine who survived Pearl Harbor.

We found Dad's unit.




A member of the 101st Airborne - THE band of brothers.



A corner of the grenades' display.


Watching the weapons' demonstration.



The kids were allowed to pick up cartridges after the demonstration.


The Axis powers are getting ready for the re-enactment.


Safety control.

Before the battle.

Before the re-enactment the audience was treated to a parade of vehicles.



A tank on fire!